Warrior’s Way – Learn kung fu at the Shaolin Temple
Our Warrior’s Way kung fu training program at the Shaolin Temple in Henan, China, is our most intense experience. It pushes participants mentally, physically and emotionally, and requires people to really dig down and find what they are capable of achieving.
Throughout this 9-day program, you will train cardio, flexibility, strength, stamina and speed, all the while learning the traditional Shaolin Tongbiquan form. More information on this traditional Shaolin form can be found on our blog here.
Many people believe that kung fu is developed through the mastering of martial arts forms or patterns. In fact, developing martial arts skills comes through training in a variety of ways. Forms are just one of the steps on your path to mastering Chinese martial arts. On our programs, we aim to allow people to experience as many of these steps as possible, so that they have a better understanding of what kung fu is, and what it means to say you ‘have kung fu’.
Back to basics
Practice makes perfect
In summary, on the Warrior’s Way program participants will take part in:
- Shaolin Cardio Training
- Intense Shaolin Stretching Sessions
- Jibengong (the foundation of Shaolin martial arts) training
- Learning the complete Shaolin Tongbiquan form
- Training how to apply techniques learnt
- Combat conditioning
- Sanda (Chinese kickboxing) classes
All participants wishing to enroll on one of our programs are strongly advised to watch our introductory video, viewable here in our Video Gallery, before signing up.
The daily itinerary has been designed to ensure you get the most out of your trip. The typical training day includes:
Please note: While CK Martial Hearts designs our courses very carefully, to allow anyone the opportunity to experience kung fu and culture at the Shaolin Temple, it would be impossible to always meet 100% of applicants expectations, 100% of the time. Therefore, in the best interests of applicants, CKMH reserves the right to vet each applicant to assess their suitability for our programs. CKMH will review each application and may require further information before confirming whether your application to join this program has been successful.
Please also be aware that at the Shaolin Temple, discipline and respect are taken extremely seriously, and factor very deeply in how willing the warrior monks are to teach new students. While no one will force you to do anything you don’t want to do, all students are expected to give 100% effort in all activities, and accept that they will be pushed to do the best they can. If you truly wish to know what it means to train and develop kung fu, you must also continually push yourself and pay close attention to all the instructions your teachers give you. If you feel you are unwilling or unable to commit to this, CKMH respectfully suggest these training programs are not for you.
More than just kick-ass moves
On our Warrior’s Way programs, the following schedule applies (click to enlarge):
Click a tab below for more information on pricing and how to apply for a place on this program.
The total cost of this 9-day program is 8888 RMB (approx. $1731/£1388), all inclusive.
This program includes:
- 1 week of daily Shaolin Tongbiquan fist form classes inside the actual Shaolin Temple, with a genuine Shaolin Warrior Monk
- 1 week of daily Shaolin Yinshougun Stick form classes inside the actual Shaolin Temple, with a genuine Shaolin Warrior Monk
- 2 strike training class at Shaolin Tagou Martial Arts School, China’s largest martial arts academy
- 1 week of Yang Style taichi classes
- 1 week of qigong exercise routines
- Daily cardio, strength, conditioning and technique application training
- Guided tour of the Shaolin Temple
- Guided tour to the Pagoda Forest, Chuzu Convent, Damo Cave and Wuru Peak
- Guided tour to Sanhuangzhai, one of the most stunning areas of the Song Shan mountain range
- Opportunity to enjoy a Shaolin kung fu performance at the Shaolin Wushu Exhibition Centre
- Opportunity to enjoy a performance of the Zen Music Ritual in Dengfeng
- Opportunity to volunteer at the Shaolin Temple Farm
- 2 Shaolin kung fu uniforms (Feiyue shoes, monk socks, kung fu pants and sleeveless Shaolin t-shirt)
- All transportation between Beijing and the Shaolin Temple (train and private minibus)
- 2 weeks of accommodation in Wangzhigou, a rural village 10 minutes walk from the Shaolin Temple, in a hostel dorm∗
- All meals during the length of the program (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Full-time native-English speaking translator and guide with you for the duration of the program
- Daily photos and videos taken of you during training by our team photographer
- Certificate of participation
Not included in the price:
- travel to, and accommodation in, Beijing
- travel insurance
- personal shopping during program (gifts, personal items, clothing etc.)
Applications for places on this program can be made at any time. Once you have made your application, and we have reviewed and are satisfied with your suitable for this course, we will send you an invoice for a deposit of 30% of the total booking fee. The deposit must be paid within 3 days of receiving the invoice for your reservation to accepted.
Applications made less than 1 month in advance will be subject to availability, and if accepted, 100% payment will be required upon receipt of invoice. Applications made less than 1 month in advance do not qualify for the ‘100% payment’ discount.
∗ a dorm is a room with several beds, which may be occupied by other members of our programs, or other guests staying at the hostel at that time. If you would like your own room, please request one on the application form.
To apply now, simply fill in the form below, letting us know which Experience you’d like to apply for and when, and we will get back to you within 48 hours letting you know whether your application has been accepted, or if further information will be required.
- You can choose to either fill in the application form online, or download the form, and email it back to us. You can download the form here.
- Fill in all the requested information on the table below.
- Click the box to confirm you have read the program itinerary page and have watched our introduction video on YouTube, and understood what you will be doing at the Shaolin Temple. (See the video on YouKu here.)
- Click the box to confirm you have read and understood our Terms and Conditions.
- Click to confirm that you understand what will be required of you on these programs, you may be required to answer further question, or submit further details, before we can confirm your application.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- Upon receipt, we will review, and then if accepted, issue an invoice for a 30% deposit. To confirm your reservation, please pay this invoice within 72 hours. For applications made less than 1 month before the start of a program, once accepted you will receive an invoice for 100% of the program fee, payable upon receipt. Please note: applications made less than 1 month in advance do not qualify for the ‘100% payment’ discount.
Problem with the form? Email us directly at [email protected] and we’ll be happy to take your application directly.
Once we receive your application, a review will be made, and we will let you know within 48 hours if the application has been successful, or if we require more information. If successful, we’ll email you an invoice. Your reservation will be held for 72 hours, but will be cancelled if your deposit isn’t received within that time.
Looking for more information?